To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen' <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] switching kernel from dom0 to guest with pv-grub
From: "Mark Chaney" <macscr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:15:12 -0500
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:15:58 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=macscr.com; h=Received:From:To:Cc:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-index:Content-Language:X-soundwave-MailScanner-Information:X-soundwave-MailScanner-ID:X-soundwave-MailScanner:X-soundwave-MailScanner-SpamCheck:X-soundwave-MailScanner-From; b=AgxbBJ13REpMfXT90Yv6bp0MHuOnbNDx0WOw6hr8P0rORIIuGSG1hliHfpgkwRit4J6dRyyszYWpgJan1i8oWX8pAmjAyqJXUwtNVT98m6hQQRNS0yoOdwbDrLwWgfvl;
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I know how to do it from the config level, but im assuming I probably need
to install grub and download a xen kernel on the guest as well? They don?t
have any of that installed since they are currently using the kernel from
the dom0. Current config looks like this:

kernel = '/XenConfigs/vmlinuz-vm2-xenU'
ramdisk = '/XenConfigs/initrd.vm2.xenU.img'
memory = 2048
name = 'huffer'
vif = [ 'ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' ]
address = 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
netmask = '255.255.255.224'
disk = ['phy:/dev/VolGroup00/huffer_img,sda1,w',
'phy:/dev/VolGroup00/huffer_swap,sda2,w']
root = '/dev/sda1 ro'

Just found out that the original guest you see above was created from
jailtime.org image, but with some additional config changes.

I am using a third party control panel for xen and I am trying to help them
figure out how to convert their images from using a dom0 type kernel setup
like this to being able to use pygrub or pv-grub. The problem is that really
needs one disk per filesystem, so it can mount and manipulate that
filesystem. Im hoping to find a way to convert their 20+ OS images into a
pv-grub compatible guest without having to recreate each guest from scratch.

I do see now that virt-install will allow you to specify additional disks,
though I am not 100% sure how the kickstart would know which disk is which,
plus im hoping I don?t have to go this route.

Hope my rambling makes sense. =)

-Mark