To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.3 (Centos 5.2) Network Performance Issues
From: "Justin Gerry" <jgerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:58:03 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:58:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am trying to figure out why the network speed of my VMs are slow.

Here is the setup:

HP dual quad core, 18GB of RAM, 3x 72GB in a RAID 5

1)      One VM is a Windows 2003, SQL 2005 server, running a single network heavy old proprietary Access DB.

2)      Other VM is a Windows 2003, Citrix Metaframe 4.5 (latest… I guess its Xenapp now)

What I am seeing, is that the network cards appear to cap out at much lower rates, around 33mbit/sec rather than the full 100mbit a sec they are connected to the network at.

CPU,Disk, Memory seem hardly used.

I’ve also installed the open source PV drivers on the Windows VMs, and I do get a Xen Bridge interface, but I also get a “disconnected lan cord” on this device. Is it actually working?

Is there something obvious (or not so obvious) that I could do to try to get some improved network speed out of my VMs?

Thanks,

Justin