To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems with bridged networking
From: "Nemeth, Tamas" <nice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:36:28 +0200
Cc: Thomas Robers <robers@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:40:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2008. 09. 15, hétfő keltezéssel 17.00-kor Thomas Robers ezt írta:
> I've now tested Xen 3.2 from backports.org on a Debian 4.0 test
> machine with 7 Interfaces and the problem is in the script
> 'network-bridge'.

I've sent a mail to this list at Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:39:35 +0200 with a
subject of "xen on openSUSE" which seems to describe the same problem
as yours, but on openSUSE.I've found that
the /etc/xen/scripts/xen-network-common.sh script in recent xen
releases  makes some incorrect assumptions on the ifup script. (Or ifup
itself behaves incorrectly?) So i modified the xen-network-common.sh
script as follows:

#if ! which ifup >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
if true

More details in my mail mentioned above.

A you might already realize that xen no more loads the netloop module
which creates the vif/veth pairs, but it uses the bridge itself, which
is now called eth0 instead of xenbr0.

Without modificating the xen networking scripts (either your way or my
way) the bridge interfaces will not be switched in the "UP" state. And
interfaces in state "DOWN" are invisible for the old (and maybe
deprecated) ifconfig command. Only "ip address show" or "ip link show"
will show tht they exist but are turned off.

Best regards

Tamas