To: John Goor <john@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Kernel panic
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:58:53 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 05:59:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 10:14 +0100, John Goor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> HW: Compaq evo laptop, 640Mb ram, 800MHz cpu
> Xen: 3.0.3 on Ubuntu Edgy (2.6.17-6-generic-xen0)

HP Pentium III here with 256MB .. I'm jealous :)

> Problem: I have created 4 DomU's.
> When I start the third DomU a Kernel panic appears, and after some
> seconds the computer shuts down.

I can see how that would be annoying.

> I don't know where to get this output, and th messages on screes only
> stay for some seconds. The only thing I can see is this 'Kernel panic'
> message.

Nothing in dmesg or /var/log/xen* ?

If its not stuck in an endless loop of rebooting (as in you can't ctrl-c
fast enough to keep xendomains from starting it), and nothing is
appearing in the logs try this :

xm create domain.cfg > /root/info.txt 2>&1

If you still can't get any indication of what's going wrong (i.e.
info.txt remains empty and logs remain untouched), if the laptop has a
tv out plug in the back hook it up to a VCR or digital camera that can
record the output for later playback.

> This occurs when starting equally which 3rd DomU.

A good start would be pasting the configuration for the third dom-u, as
well as describing the OS its running, and anything special about it
that differs from the other two. That may suggest the issue without the
benefit of logs.

> Please help. Laptop is normally stable when using a 'normal' kernel.

But what fun is that? (kidding) Sorry to see you in such a predicament..
hopefully you'll be able to trap the output so someone can help you.

> Regards,
> jgoor

Best,
-Tim