WARNING - OLD ARCHIVES

Xen

Home Products Support Community News

xen-users

Re: [Xen-users] HVM systems review

> However it seems the Xeon 5100s are 15% faster than the Opteron 2000s.
>
> Nicholas

It depends on your application. Dont forget to look at residual cost of owning
a Xeon 5100. I believe that it requires fully buffered dimms each pulling 9
to 14 Watt compared to non-fully buffered dimms for the new Opterons that
support DDR2 which I think draw 2-3 watts per dimm. Plus even though the Xeon
requires less power for the chip itself they dont take into account the fact
that the Opterons have an on die memory controller. The Xeons have a separate
memory controller which I believe draws another 2 Watts.

Kind of went on a tangent there ... but really it does depend on the type of
applications you are running. I seem to remember the Xeons whop up on the
Opterons in single threaded applications, however I think the reverse is true
when you start using threaded applications.

Personally I prefer Opterons however they are not the best in every situation.
I think in general you get better performance/watt out of them.