To: "Ishaaq Chandy" <ishaaq@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: dual boot windows
From: "Turk, JohnX" <johnx.turk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:03:47 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:04:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

While it may be possible to do, I would strongly recommend against it. The thing is that the virtualized hardware is completely different from what the actual hardware in your system is. Lets say you load Windows on your machine baremetal, it sees a nice new Intel chipset, GeForce video card, and a SATA hard drive. Then when you try to boot that partition with Xen, it suddenly being thrown a completely different set of hardware. It now is seeing a Cirrus Logic video card, some older generic chipset, and an IDE hard drive. This will most likely cause your system to blue screen, or worst case you will have some major data loss.