WARNING - OLD ARCHIVES

Xen

Home Products Support Community News

xen-users

Re: [Xen-users] network-route and vif-route setup help

Incase the email didn't go to the mailing list i will send it again.

Patrick Wolfe: YOU ARE A GENIUS!!
> Since you are using netmask 255.255.255.255, you need to route to the
> device, not to the ip address of the other end.  Try:
>
>        ip route add default dev eth0

So thats what happened.

To summerise for everyone else.
I have a dedicated server. I can't use bridged network becuase my ISP drops
my network whenever the switch sees an unknown MAC.
So route is the way to go.

Here's what i did:

modify /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp to make sure these are uncommented:
(network-script network-route)
(vif-script     vif-route)
comment our the bridge ones.

make sure you have in /etc/xen/scripts/network-route:
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp

Setup your dom0 network like normal. You should set the default gateway.

My domU config looks like this (the important parts anyway):
vif = [ 'ip=domU_IP_HERE' ]
ip = "domU_IP_HERE"
netmask="255.255.255.255"
gateway="dom0_gateway"

The gateway is the dom0 gateway.

setup domU's network so that it has the domU ip.
Then add default gateway:
ip route add default dev eth0

I put that line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for centos.

AND THATS IT!!! and it works.

Just ONE LAST question please.
If i install shorewall do i need to make any changes? like turn on routing
in shorewall.conf etc
Please let me know. Also will it effect my domU's if i install shorewall in
my dom0?

Thanks to everyone for helping!!