To: René Pfeiffer <lynx@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] crc checksum problems
From: Daniel Goertzen <goertzen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:30:42 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:41:14 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Instead of adding a dummy interface to the bridge try adding another vif0.x.

The xen drivers try to optimize networking by skipping out on checksumming at various stages, because the assumption is that inter-domain network transport is immune to error. My theory is that if you don't properly use the vifx.y/vethx interfaces, you bypass some of these checksum optimizations and end up performing integrity checks when you shouldn't. My dream is that this will someday be documented somewhere, or better yet degrade gracefully to checksum operation with a kernel warning or something. The existing design seems brittle.

Again, that's only my theory based on my experience. If someone really knows whats going on, I look forward to hearing about it.

Dan.