To: "Yvette Chanco" <yentlsoup@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Debian Packages for 2.06
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:22:41 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:21:31 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I'm never sure where the best place for Debian/Xen
> discussions are (debian-user has been suggested, which makes
> sense), but since I've had a few off-list conversations
> (about the unofficial packages I posted, as well as general
> topics related to the debian/xen packages), I thought I
> should post back to the list. (Thanks to everybody who took
> the time to test.)

I'd like to see this continue on xen-users though we could create a new
list if there's strong demand.

> Three disclaimers/explanations:
>
> 1) We have had a few problems with our web hosting company
> with regards to uptime (rather amusing, at least to me).
> Apologies if you have had problems getting something you
> need, we're working on it...

Feel free to create a debian section on wiki.xensource.com

There are real advantages for users in having everything on a central
site. Also, you won't have to worry about uptime as James does a great
job keeping all the Xen community infrastructure up.

> 2) I am not a Debian Developer (I already mentioned that, but
> it bears repeating). Also, there is already a package
> maintainer for the Debian Xen packages who may or may not
> want to continue that role, and there have been several other
> volunteers for co-maintainer/maintainer if the official
> maintainer no longer has time for this package. So I'm not
> trying to take over or anything like that, I just want to
> have packages I can use, try to help the process as far as I
> can, and - if possible - avoid too much duplication of effort.

I'd really like to see a concerted, organised group effort on debian
packaging and documentation. It's too much work for one person, but
there are a number of people on the list who could contribute. Someone
just need to take the lead and organize everyone else... (hint!)

It would be *great* to have first-class Xen support for Debian, and
we're keen to get any changes that are desired incorporate upstream into
Xen. I'd even like to see the nightly snapshots available as debs.

Best,
Ian