To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] howto install a different guest os!
From: Michael Warner <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:50:37 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:45:58 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

The best way to install a guest os is with rpmstrap. Download it from: http://hackers.progeny.com/~sam/rpmstrap/ The basic use is this:

rpmstrap --verbose centos4 /place/to/install

That will install centos4 for you. Other distro's besides centos4 are also supported. After that you can chroot in and create an fstab, after that run

MAKEDEV null console zero

in the /dev/ directory as you will need those to boot the system.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Andrew Thompson wrote:

Sven Sternberger wrote:

Hello!

I have installed the xen0 domain on a debian box, and looking
for a simple way to install different rpm based (red hat clones) distro as guest os. so this question might be slightly OT but should
be interesting for the most xen users.

Have you tried booting a domU to an install root disk? (I tried this with Slackware but I think I had other issues at the time.)

You could also try mounting an install iso, copying it to a scratch partion, and using that as a base to install from. (Boot a domU with that partition as root, install against another partition.)