To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] does gdbserver-xen still work ?
From: Tim Barbour <trb@trb@sdrit.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:33:49 -0700
Cc: xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Comments: Hyperbole mail buttons accepted, v04.18.
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:32:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is anyone successfully using gdbserver-xen on x86_64 ?

I had hoped Xen would be useful for debugging kernel code, but I am getting
rather disappointed, particularly with the lack of response from the xen-tools
and xen-users mailing lists (this is my third post on this topic).

I am trying to use gdbserver-xen to debug a paravirtualised XenoLinux VM
(linux-2.6.16.40-xen) on x86_64, but without much success.

I recently upgraded xen to 3.1.0_rc10, and get the same results as I was getting
with xen 3.0.4 . gdbserver-xen seems to attach to the target kernel okay
(although it sometimes prints "unsupported xc_ptrace request PTRACE_SETFPREGS"),
but gdb is unable to do much:

(gdb) target remote 127.0.0.1:9999
Remote debugging using 127.0.0.1:9999
[New Thread 0]
[Switching to Thread 0]
0xffffffff801073aa in hypercall_page ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xffffffff801073aa in hypercall_page ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff80107000
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint -2.
Error accessing memory address 0xffffffff80100000: Input/output error.

Does this work for anyone else ?

I would appreciate any suggestions. I can supply more information if anyone is
interested.

Tim