To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Problems with Xend on ia64.
From: "Julio C. Ortega" <jortega@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:25:06 -0430
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:59:05 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all.

As per my last emails to the list i was able, (thanks Shin'ya) to build Xen 4.0.1 (and 4.0.2-rcX) on ia64.

After a long battle building various releases (all pertaining 4.0.x series) on a BL870c Integrity blade (itanium2) i cannot make Xend run (kernel 2.6.18.8-xen boots normally and without errors, apparently) but Xend gives out permission errors. (Like the build was more recent than the tools and etc.) believe me, i've rebuilded tools, kernes, stubdom, uninstalled, built from scratch, reinstalled.... you name it so as to prevent this permission error without results.

I've struggling digging info on how to sucessfully make Xend start, so far i've tried literally everything i've found, al also digged heavily in this list archives.

I've trying in two different systems (one has debian 6.0 and other debian 5.0),im building with gcc-4.1 in both of them, and the build completes _normally_ and _without errors_ after i apply the patches that Shin'ya and other contributors have posted for ia64 on 4.0.1 and 4.0.2-rcX

I'll attach the running kernel dmesg, and the xend.log. Also, an strace of xend starting.

(disregard the qla2xxx messages, as i have to reorganize the storage and enclosure after Xen works ;) )

--
Julio C. Ortega