To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Vanilla Linux 64-bit paravirt guest support
From: Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 17:22:57 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Abd-El-Malek <mabdelmalek@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:23:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:11 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 09:01 -0500, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > Michael Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> > > Is 64-bit domU support available anywhere at the moment?  For example,
> > > what is the status of the git://git.et.redhat.com/xen-pvops-64.git
> > > tree?  I pulled that tree and tried building 64-bit Xen domU support
> > > (since this tree allows you to configure the kernel with that
> > > capability, unlike the vanilla Linux tree).  But compilation failed in
> > > enlighten.c because xen_smp_ops isn't defined in x86_64.
>
> Try building without CONFIG_SMP, it doesn't support that yet.
>
> > Redhat have some patches which they're shipping in Fedora 9.  Once F9 is
> > out the door, I'm hoping they'll polish them into an upstreamable form.
> > I don't know whether that git tree represents what's in F9, or if that's
> > somewhere else; at the very least I'd expect you'd be able to pull the
> > patches out of the srpm.
>
> Yep, this tree:
>
>   http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=xen-pvops-64.git
>
> is the work-in-progress x86_64 tree.

FYI, here's the config options that's currently needed to get this tree
working:

# CONFIG_SMP is not set
# CONFIG_NUMA is not set
# CONFIG_NEED_MULTIPLE_NODES is not set

# x86_64 breaks with a different CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START, currently
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x200000

# x86_64 breaks with CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP, currently
# CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP is not set

# 32-bit emulation isn't ready yet
# CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION is not set

Cheers,