To: Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] changeset:6989 vm sticking around in shutdown state
From: Dan Smith <danms@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:22:29 -0700
Cc: xen-devel List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:20:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TK> Sound like a good starting point, you thinking about appending an
TK> instance to the name?

We previously discussed adding something like -zombie-X to the name,
where X is the old numeric domid.  That would make it evident that the
domain was hanging around after death.

TK> I am of the mindset that something like allow creation with the
TK> same name, but invalidate the old one or vice versa.

Yea, so, since Xend looks things up mostly by name, we need to create
the new domain with the real name, and mangle the name of the zombie
so that it mostly gets ignored.

TK> This would also keep track of how many times such an issue occured
TK> on a particular domU.

Well, it would keep track of stuck instances, true.  I don't think we
want to keep track of anything that we don't have to.  That's what the
logs are for :)

TK> Name           Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)
TK> Domain-0       0      182    -      2   r----    970.7
TK> debian         3      128    -      2   -b---    502.4
TK> debian.1       3.1      0    -      2   ---s-     91.1

I think it would/should look like this:

Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU VCPU(s)  State  Time(s)
Domain-0           0      182    -      2   r----    970.7
debian-zombie-3    3        0    -      2   ---s-    502.4
debian             4      128    -      2   -b---     91.1

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center