To: "Michael Vrable" <mvrable@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Shadow Code Reorganization
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:53:07 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:51:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm trying to make sense of what seems to be some code
> duplication.  In xen/arch/x86, there are three files related
> to shadow mode: shadow.c, shadow32.c, and shadow_public.c.
> In my x86 build, only shadow32.c is built.  shadow.c seems to
> contain a lot of similar code.  The comments at the top of
> the files are also confusing; shadow32.c claims that it is
> shadow.c, and shadow.c claims that it is shadow_64.c.

The new file called shadow.c can be compiled for both 32 and 64 bit, but
is currently only used for 64bit by default.

The shadow32.c file (formerly shadow.c) still exists because it's had
more testing than the new file, and we want both in the tree until we're
convinced there's been no regression between the two. We'll then delete
shadow32 and compile shadow.c in 32 bit mode. Base any new development
on the new shadow.c

Make sense?

Best,
Ian