To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD/Xen ugliness
From: Derrik Pates <dpates@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:14:11 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:49:01 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All:

I have still not, as yet, been able to get FreeBSD/Xen to actually work. It still hangs partway through the kernel boot process. I thought I'd try to do a build, but unfortunately the instructions which are provided in http://www.bsdclusters.com/xenofreebsd/xenbsdsetup.txt don't work at all. I've run across the following so far:

- Couldn't get BitKeeper to work at all on FreeBSD (complains about not being licensed?) - was able to work around this by using BitKeeper on my PowerBook running Debian. - The directory that's supposed to be symlinked from the Xen source tree _does not exist_. I borrowed the matching files from the NetBSD/Xen source tree. - Had to hand-edit several of the copied headers, so they'd include files on the right paths. - There is no 'make kernel-depend'. Doing 'make depend' finally sort of worked, until it got to dependency generation for the AIC7xxx drivers, at which point it tried to pull in something nonexistant and bombed.

Has _anyone_ successfully used FreeBSD/Xen? I tried e-mailing Kip Macy directly, but have gotten no response as yet. If this doesn't work, that's fine; however, FreeBSD is not scoring big points with me today, as it seems to be giving me fits in assorted ways today. If anyone has anything to say at all, it'd be appreciated.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@xxxxxxxxxx