To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 2.0 and VIA Samuel 2 stepping 03
From: Adam Sulmicki <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:01:55 -0500 (EST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:45:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,
        I have attached a patch wich adds support for 4kb pages
        to xen 2.0 proper.

        (No changes were required from xen 2.0-beta. Apprently mixing
        xenolinux from one release and xen kernel from another release is
        a no-no. Other than that there were no problems. Thanks to Rupert
        Schlick for helping to nail it down. The "noacpi" parameter
        does not seem to be mandatory. Finally removed a bit uneeded
        code from patch).

        I have also attached sample output of booting xen and linux-dom0
        on VIA  Samuel 2 stepping 03.

        All in all, patch has been booted with xen 2.0 on:
                * my via based system
                * my pentium 3
                * Rupert Schlick's via system

        In order to repeat this you need:
        1) get 2.0 release. You could do something like this
                bk clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xen-2.0.bk

        2) apply attached patch, ex
                patch -p1 < ../xen-20r.4kb-diff

        How is the VIA Samuel 2 stepping 03 different from normal cpu?

        1) lack of 4mb page support
        2) lack of support for Conditional Move (CMOV) instruction
        3) lack of ACPI support

Adam