To: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] 32bit version of XCP 1.0 ISO?
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:46:01 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 02:46:18 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Here is the quote from the user: "Likewise with the Xen Cloud Platform
> 1.0; the only available ISO
> appears to require a 64-bit CPU architecture. Such documentation as I have
> been able to find, seems
> to indicate that 32-bit architectures are supported, but I have not been
> able to find installation
> or livecd media to try it."
>
> Here are my questions:
> 1) Does the XCP 1.0 ISO only support 64 bit CPUs?

Out of the box, 64b only.

I've heard of some folk running it on 32b systems by replacing the single
xen.gz binary with one built for 32b, but that certainly won't be a widely
tested configuration.

> 2) If not, what could the user have done wrong?
> 3) If yes, does it make sense to provide a 32 bit version?

I wouldn't rank it as a priority, but it would be nice to have the XCP build
system spit out a xen-32b.gz and add some documentation about updating the grub
config to boot it instead of the default 64b.

Ian